Monday, April 13, 2009

Udbhav 09....Say it LOUD !!!!

It was that time of the year again, when most of us sleep-walk through our scheduled classes in anticipation of an event that holds a special place in every budding engineer’s heart!
Yep, the event was none other than Udbhav and it rocked and HOW!!

With the new format of having fun events on normal class days and the extended Theme for the day, Udbhav got an unofficial start through the tomfoolery of sponge-race!
[Have no idea what they were doing, actually]
This, in my opinion could only be fun to the actual participants and not to the weary audience who gathered around after a hectic day of classes!
The theme of that day was the Mix N’ Match which required a truly bizarre bent of mind to come up with dresses to wear!
Some uh... people deserved to be lauded for the bravery displayed in wearing some “Creations”!!


The second unofficial day of Udbhav had its theme as Bollywood Retro day, which unbeknownst to me happened to be cancelled... Of course, the reason for its cancellation is still a mystery to me.
Certainly was a tad disappointed that my pseudo retro look was wasted!
Moving on, the fun event for the day was a derivative of cricket, as in Bowl-out’s, a phenomenon crafted out of Indian Premier League.
Now, since my record in cricket is anything but record-breaking, which in itself is a massive understatement, I decided to steer clear of this one!


Three whole days whiled away and the start of the Monday bought with it the key prelim rounds that would decide the participants’ worthy of gracing the finals.
The absolute mania that Sanjay created around me participating in DC is something that will be in my remembrance for some time.
To put it mildly, Sanjay was the one who pumped up me and Kishore into participating and his poor general knowledge on “general knowledge”[pun intended] was to be the undermining factor that would give us a total of o points, and thus a kick in the back out of the prelims itself!



After that rather embarrassing turn of events, the fun events that were Sack-race and Balloon throw were where I frizzled away my time instead of checking out my classmate’s performance in Creative Dance, which I was later, told, to be a superb show!


The next day rolled out and the official inauguration involving the top-brass of our college congregating at Hi-tech sem hall was commencing even as I looked forward to the One act-play that started at around the same time.
The time which was spent witnessing the artistes putting out their talents on show around a well structured story and dialogue was the highlight of the day!
The two Kannada plays involved classmates and friends and were far from disappointing!
Murli’s play, in particular was mesmerizing since it weaved through complex poetry-like dialogues and yet emerged to be the best of the around 12 plays that I witnessed that day.
The last play provided the much needed paisa-vasool entertainment, as I call it, by spoofing Prison Break, and boy, did they get it right!
The character introductions itself had me go into peals of laughter and it really was a light-comedic end to an excellent event.
This day had its theme as “Wear Your Music” which led to plain tees featuring printed band artists and rappers or creative ones, one of which was done by Sanjay himself!



The intermediate day of Udbhav is in my humble opinion, an opportunity for MSRITIans to waltz around in their Ethnic garbs while posing for cameras like there’s no tomorrow!
My borrowed Kurta was a pleasant first time experience.
And my meeting with Sanjay’s much-talked about “friend” Arpitha was also a pleasant one.
This meeting and the entire back story that led to it as well as the story that transpired thereafter would require a huge deviation from the topic and thus I leave it at that.

Noon had me going to the SKIT in the small ESB2 hall where the performances were satisfactory at best, but the entertainment quotient was over the roof since the audience, including me were constantly kept in good humor!

As the final day rolled in, I was looking forward to the dance events that would surely set the ball rolling in getting the MSRitians to shake a leg!
The Cool Black T-shirt that epitomized the spirit of Udbhav was the theme of the final day and it was sold out in 1 day itself!!
True to my expectation, the dance events were exuberant and the teams gave excellent completion to one another throughout.
The two teams that struck me with their moves were the eventual winner FTN-Forget The Name and the famous Fire N ‘Ice, who were the runners-up.
Of course, the other teams were superb as well and kept the energy level high and pumping!
The dance event also culminated in your humble writer dancing for the first time ever in his life! ; A feat achieved due to the prodding of none other than Sanjay, something which I am thankful to him for.
The euphoria of the final day stayed long after I exited the college and a fragment of it will always reside in me forever!
In retrospect, having witnessed the BMS Utsav, I must say that even though the crowd control, Event co-ordination and other minor points were lacking a bit of polish; the energy and vibe that the crowd gave out during Udbhav is something will always set my pulse racing!


//A light write-up that I typed up in one go, with not much thought process or framework as its support; I really hope people reading this enjoy as much I did in writing it.

One critique I have for myself is that, this particular write-up is a bit understated, when compared to my usual writing style//

No comments:

Post a Comment